Thursday, September 14, 2023

Under a Gypsy Moon


 Under a Gypsy Moon ©2021 - The background of this piece is a foggy field of gold and burgundy grasses with mostly bare trees I captured in the vicinity of Middle Valley NJ. Even though it was late in the afternoon, the moon was not present but was added later in the composition. I came across the wooden horse with peeling paint in an antique store in Peddler’s Village, Lahaska, PA (near the town of New Hope, PA). His wings were added from one of the many vultures I’ve photographed (I also added a tail from a real horse as his original was mostly torn away). I’m not sure if he was formally part of a carousel, but in the antique store he was a “rocking horse”. The narrative I envisioned is similar to the fairy tale of Pinocchio who, as a wooden puppet, wanted desperately to be a “real boy”. One night my wooden horse is befriended by a woman (a self portrait) who helps him escape the carousel and fulfill his dreams. She leads him into a field and under the spell of a full Gypsy moon. Bathed in it’s magical light, his transformation into a real horse with wings to fly begins. The crows and a flock of blackbirds (from my travels) were added to give him the confidence and inspiration needed for his journey to freedom. 



A Gypsy Moon


Come walk with me under a Gypsy Moon

through trees laden with beads of mist,

shimmering like diamonds from every limb.


Follow my footsteps over golden grasses

softly falling aside; a path in this place

conjuring hope for magic, desires and dreams.


Fly with birds that swoop and soar and glide

through fog filled skies; no fear, no regret,

calling out it’s time, come and test your wings!


                              - Darlene Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment