Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Skeleton Keys

The Skeleton Keys ©2014 - Often images will sit in my files for months or even years before I decide to use one in a montage.  This one, however, was inspired by 3 images taken on the same day coming home recently from one of my favorite annual antique shows in Pottersville, NJ.  I came across a small herd of young black angus bulls grazing in a pasture near the town of Lamington.  The contrast of their dark coloring against the bright green grass caught my eye.  As I approached to photograph them, they moved closer and closer together until huddled in a small group as a seemingly protective measure.  Suddenly, they collectively moved towards me, which made me somewhat nervous until I realized it was just out of curiosity!  It was one of those shots that became my base photo.  I wasn't crazy about the bright green field the bulls were in, so I placed them in a rolling field of golden grasses from Rte 206 in the Peapack Gladstone area.  Traveling on, I stopped to photograph some horses and captured a large flock of blackbirds flying overhead that I added to the sky.  Some clouds, a crescent moon, and some texture from an old daguerreotype provided an evening feel to the image.  Leading the herd is a gentleman from my vintage photo collection and just above, a beautiful crow that's been hanging out in my neighborhood.  For a touch of mystery, he's carrying off "The Skeleton Keys" I found in the basement of my house when I moved there in 1977. 

1 comment:

  1. The work titled "Skeleton Keys" drew me in, (literally - here I am;). I started a new board on Pinterest, as it inspired me and I wanted to save it somewhere and share it with others. I cited your blog, as well as the work and copyright - which it occurred to me I might be violating. So, I am back to your blog to ask humbly for your permission. The board would have (pretty-please) three of your works featured, and it is on the cover. The board is titled, "Meet the Artist". It is private, until (if) you give me permission to publish it on Pinterest. If you say you'd rather not,or you do not respond, I will simply delete the board. Thank you for sharing your captivating art and for considering this. I would also like permission to display one work on my blog and link it back to you, with all due citations... but I won't push my luck... (if I happen to have any). I do wish you all the magic and charms your work is certainly due at your show opening. ~Cheers!~ Reagan

    ReplyDelete